Meet the New Class: Elizheva Hurvich

With the start of the 2018-19 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the articles in this series.

Today we’re talking with incoming Rabbinic student Elizheva Hurvich.

Photo courtesy of Elizheva Hurvich

Q1) Where do you live?

Oakland, CA

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

Actually, I don’t precisely know. I’m friends with people who have attended and with Rabbi Rochelle Robins, who is a Dean there. That said, another student (Jamie Hyams) sent an email out to a listserv I’m on asking people if they have ever considered Rabbinical School, and to contact her to learn more.

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

A few things. The pluralistic, transdenominational philosophy and smicha. The fact that I can do this as a low-residency student, as I have a family and home and work elsewhere. And that this was designed for returning students and people with many other commitments. Also that it is an accredited program. That said, I like the cross fertilization with Chaplaincy and Cantorial students.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?

In addition to this new adventure, i work as the Youth and Family Education Director at a synagogue in Berkeley, where I imagine I will be able to share my rabbinical studies! When I ask myself how I can be of best service in the world and have the most positive impact, becoming a rabbi keeps occurring to me as the direction to refine my skills, strength, and offerings. I’ve been a Jewish educator and ritual leader for many years. This is a natural step.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

At the moment, the Chumash with Hasidic masters class. The syllabus is full of books I’ve seen on shelves for years & I’m looking forward to cracking them open in a context and letting myself open to their teachings.

Welcome Elizheva!