Meet the New Class: Art Grand

With the start of the 2018-19 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the articles in this series.

Today we’re talking with Rabbinic student Art Grand, who has already taken several classes at that Academy.

Photo courtesy of Art Grand

Q1) Where do you live?

I live in Roseville, CA just outside of Sacramento.

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

I had heard of ARJCA on and off over the years.  I thought about going to rabbinic school when I was in my early 50’s, but it was the wrong time in my life. Since then, I’ve been on a spiritual journey, with lots of study, and lots of spiritual work on my congregation.  I eventually decided that God had a different path in mind for me – a path that involved finding my own curriculum and my own way to learn.  Through lots of struggle and lots of growth, I decided the rabbinic path wasn’t like me.

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

About a year ago, I finished a training program as a Jewish spiritual director.  On the last day of the program, one of my fellow Va’ad members encouraged me to go to rabbinic school.  “I know this guy named Mel”, she told me.  “Your souls have something in common.  You should call him”.  That was the beginning of my journey to AJRCA.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?

I work full time as a software engineer, and I do lots of teaching and pastoral counseling in my congregation. But somehow, there always seems to be time to do more sacred things.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

What most excites me about this journey is that somehow, in the process, God will change me.  I can’t wait to meet the person who I will be five years from now.

Welcome Art!