Meet the New Class: Cantor Sam Radwine

With the start of the 2018-19 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the articles in this series.

Today we’re talking with beloved, longtime AJRCA faculty member and incoming Rabbinic student Cantor Sam Radwine.

Photo courtesy Cantor Sam Radwine

Q1) Where do you live?

Rogers, Arkansas

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

When AJRCA was first organizing, some of the local members of the American Conference of Cantors, were approached by Rabbi Stan Levy to give us information about this new endeavor.  This had to be in the early ’90’s.

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

Having been on the faculty for many years, I was able to continue to teach after moving to Arkansas because of the Hybrid Program.  As a teacher and observing the success of the program, I realized that under the same program, I could become a student.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?

I had retired from my full time pulpit in ’13 and was living in Palm Springs, where I served 2 very part time pulpits.  I was also able to continue teaching on campus, commuting into LA either by car or train.  I relocated to Northwest Arkansas a year ago, just as the Hybrid program went into full operation.  When we moved here, we joined the local synagogue, which is a very small community, made up mostly of Walmart and Walmart-vendor executives.  Hardly anyone in the synagogue community is from this area.  Soon after we joined, the congregation went into a search for a part-time leader.  To make a long story short, I was selected.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

I’m most excited about being able to study with other faculty members, whom I consider to be great teachers.  I am also looking forward to delving into areas which were not offered during my cantorial school education.  At my age, the idea of rabbinical ordination is thrilling.  However, at this point, I’m far less concerned with a resume for a job-search, than my “resume” for the “olam ha-ba!”

Welcome (sort of) Cantor Radwine! 🙂