Meet the New Class: Alex Weisz

With the start of the 2018-19 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the articles in this series.

Today we’re talking with incoming Rabbinical student Alex Weisz.

Photo courtesy of Alex Weisz

Q1) Where do you live?

Las Vegas, NV

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

I first heard about AJR from my fellow Rabbinical student, Joey Angel-Field, who I worked at camp with for many years. I fondly remember him telling a 15-year old me during a ride home from camp that he was considering becoming a Rabbi, so to join him at AJR several years later is wonderful and surreal.

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

A number of things drove me to AJR. In addition to knowing a number of current students and alumni who represent the Academy wonderfully, I love the entrepreneurial spirit that can be found throughout the student body, as well as the diversity among the students & faculty. I love the flexibility that AJR allows me – not only as a transdenominational seminary, but also that I can fulfill my childhood dream of becoming a Rabbi without stepping away from my wonderful job and community in Las Vegas.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?

Prior to and since I’ve enrolled at AJRCA, I work as the Director of Jewish Education at Temple Sinai of Las Vegas. I am also their founding Youth Director, establishing SVTY, Temple Sinai’s NFTY youth groups. I have also worked as the Assistant Youth Director at Adat Ari El synagogue in Los Angeles, and have taught in a number of religious schools and camps in my career. I was born and raised in Arcadia, California, I grew up at the Pasadena Jewish Temple & Center, and I am a graduate of Loyola Marymount University’s Jewish Studies department.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

Starting Rabbinical School is a dream come true for me, so there is plenty for me to be excited for. While I’m so excited for the destination, Rabbinic Ordination, right now I’m mostly excited for the long journey ahead of me – but in case my fiancee Emma reads this, I am most excited for standing under the chuppah with the love of my life shortly following my second year at AJRCA.

Welcome Alex!