A Few Minutes With…Cantor Jay Frailich

We recently collected lots of great information from our students and faculty and will be sharing it over the coming months in blog posts like this. We hope you enjoy hearing from members of our community in their own words!

Faculty Member Cantor Jay Frailich

How long have you been teaching at AJRCA?

Nine years

What course(s) are you teaching at AJRCA? (either currently or in the recent past)

Biblical Cantillation – all six systems. Also, I have taught B’nai Mitzvah instruction and Shalosh Regalim Nusach.

What drew you to AJRCA?

The idea of a Cantorial School here in the Los Angeles area. Also, my daughter was a student at the AJRCA Cantorial School.

Why do you teach at AJRCA?

I have an opportunity to teach and mentor future Rabbis and Cantors.

How would you characterize the students the Academy?

It is changing. At first, most students were seeking second career. Now, it is a mix of younger students along with those pursuing a second career.

What has been your most memorable experience at the Academy to date?

In the beginning of my teaching Torah cantillation I said to one of the students who was having some trouble, “Don’t worry. It’s not rocket science.” What I didn’t know until later was that the student WAS a rocket scientist.

What is/are your favorite thing(s) about teaching here?

The very high level of intelligent students and their willingness to learn.

What advice would you give to future AJRCA students and applicants?

Even though the school offers a great deal of flexibility it is imperative to make certain that you allot sufficient time for your studies. It will be worth it.