Meet the New Class: Greg Marcus

With the start of the 2019-20 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the articles in this series.

Today we’re talking with incoming Rabbinic student Greg Marcus.

Photo courtesy of Greg Marcus

Q1) Where do you live?

San Carlos, California in the San Francisco Bay Area

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

I heard of AJRCA from Rabbi Ilana Goldhaber-Gordon. She brought me in to teach Mussar at her synagogue Beth Jacob in Redwood City. We both have Biology PH.Ds from MIT, and in the course of getting to know each other she told me she was ordained through AJRCA. 

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

I have thought about becoming a Rabbi on and off for years, but did not think about it seriously because I was not up for moving or commuting. When I heard  AJRCA had a Zoom option, I started looking more seriously. I love that the program focuses on people in a second or third career, is trans-denominational, and includes a strong focus on spirituality.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?

I left a job in marketing ten years ago to become a stay at home dad, writer, speaker and coach. For the last 5 years my focus has been on Mussar. I facilitate programs in person, online, and 1:1. My latest book is “The Spiritual Practice of Good Actions: Finding Balance Through the Soul Traits of Mussar.”

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

I am excited about going deep. I can’t wait to really get in deeper conversations with our Sages and the Torah. I have a lot of questions about the Yetzer Ha’ra.
My biggest passion is to help our disconnected and semi-connected Jewish cousins feel excited about being Jewish. I’ve done a lot with a fairly limited Jewish education. I can’t wait to get more arrows in my quiver to create new and engaging spiritual experiences.

Welcome Greg!