Meet the New Class: Kathy Gooze

With the start of the 2019-20 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the articles in this series.

Today we’re talking with incoming Chaplaincy student Kathy Gooze.

Photo courtesy of Kathy Gooze

Q1) Where do you live?

Tarzana, CA

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

I first became aware of AJRCA because several of my friends in the synagogue choir in Malibu had gone through the various programs. I became particularly interested in the Chaplaincy program after going through a difficult time in my life as I began to seek spiritual healing myself.  In the back of my mind, I knew Chaplaincy work was something I would like to explore at a later time.

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

Over the course of my own spiritual journey, I have become increasingly more dedicated to Jewish learning. Now that my children are independent adults, I have the time and energy to devote to my studies and can finally fulfill my calling to Chaplaincy. I began to explore the various options and I was drawn to AJRCA because of the emphasis on Jewish learning along with the Clinical Pastoral Education. My current rabbi is one of the founders of the institution and has been extremely supportive of my decision. When I attended the Open House and the Ordination this year, I felt an instant connection to the faculty and the students. I am thrilled to be part of this unique and special student body.

Q4) What have you been up to prior to enrolling?

For the past several years, I have been contemplating the next chapter of my life. My educational training and work has been in the area of social science research, particularly education and psychology. Somehow that training morphed into a brief foray into politics. A few years ago, I decided to press the reset button. I’ve been volunteering for CASA, as a Court Appointed Special Advocate for youth in the dependency system and helping with various activities in my husband’s business. I enhance my spiritual life through my Jewish observance, my yoga practice and hiking. My greatest joy is visiting my two children who are embarking on careers on the East Coast.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

I am thrilled to be able devote myself to the Chaplaincy program and the interchange among the faculty and my peers. I am also excited for my internship at Cedars Sinai, where I am sure to be challenged with many opportunities to do good work. Most of all, I am excited for the journey.

Welcome Kathy!