Meet the New Class: Dr. Ellen Beck

With the start of the 2020-21 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the articles in this series.

Today we’re talking with incoming Rabbinic student Dr. Ellen Beck, who has already earned some credits at AJRCA.

Photo courtesy Dr. Ellen Beck

Q1) Where do you live?

San Diego, CA

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

From a recent graduate

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

I took several classes as a guest student and was impressed with the combination of
an honoring of tradition, an openness to questioning, and a nourishing spiritual learning experience.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?

I am faculty at University of California San Diego, School of Medicine. A family physician, I am the founding director of the UCSD Student-Run Free Clinic Project which provides quality empowering humanistic health care to people who have nowhere to turn. I am also the Director of our national Fellowship and Faculty Development program in Underserved Health Care. In 1987, we moved from Montreal where I taught at McGill University to San Diego where I became UCSD Director of students courses in Family Medicine and Underserved Health Care. I have recently become the Faculty Director of Leadership and Faculty Development for University of California San Diego. I, with Max (whom I have known since high school), am honored to be the mother of three young adult daughters. I love to sing paint, write, learn and grow as a person to help people take charge of their lives, achieve well-being, and address issues of social and human justice.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

Learning, learning, and more learning! I want to grow in humility, wisdom, wonder, clarity, equanimity and strength. I want to continue to grow as a healer, teacher, artist and human being. I love dwelling on a word and looking at all its meanings. I see my work as nourishing spirit across borders and disciplines as well as working with people so they can take charge of their lives, overcome fear, find their inner wisdom, and achieve well-being, I always say I have an elderly Hassidic man (essentially my DNA) who lives inside of me and jumps up and down whenever I immerse myself in Yiddishkeit, Torah, study, and wonder. He is ecstatic that I am entering rabbinical school.

Welcome Ellen!

One thought on “Meet the New Class: Dr. Ellen Beck

1. Hello Dr. Beck. We have a years long family friend who teaches (taught) at McGill in the Dentistry School. Her name is Jocelyn Feine – are you acquainted with her?

Yasher kochech on your choice of to study at the AJR.

Cantor Sharon Colber