Meet the New Class: Aliya Stuart

With the start of the 2020-21 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the articles in this series.

Today we’re talking with incoming Cantorial student Aliya Stuart.

Photo courtesy Aliya Stuart

Q1) Where do you live?

Culver City, CA

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

Many amazing Cantors I’ve had the pleasure of working with have graduated from AJRCA, so when I was first thinking of my cantorial path, I knew that AJRCA would be a great place to start my journey.

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

I truly appreciated their transdenominational stance, their flexibility, and the general sense of community I got from AJRCA. After talking with so many students, professors, and staff, I felt like they all truly cared not only about my outlook but about my future.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?

I have always been a singer–whether in synagogue, on stage, or at Disneyland! I’ve performed in Off-Broadway shows, in regional musical theatre productions, and mostly now, as a Cantorial-soloist and song-leader. I love teaching B’nai Mitzvah students and passing on our musical traditions to younger generations.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

I’m excited to expand on my knowledge of our culture and to evolve as a clergy-member and as an individual. I can’t wait to begin this journey with AJRCA!

Welcome Aliya!

3 thoughts on “Meet the New Class: Aliya Stuart