Rabbi Cantor Sam Radwine

4 Questions with…Our 2021 Graduates: Cantor Sam Radwine

With our 2021 Ordination-Graduation ceremony approaching, we are highlighting members of the graduating class. Click here to see all of the posts in this series.

Today we’re talking with Rabbinic Ordinee and Graduate (and AJRCA faculty member) Cantor Sam Radwine.

1) With the ceremony approaching, what emotions are you feeling?

My emotions approaching the ordination is mixed. Though I’m overall extremely excited to mark my entry into the rabbinate, I am disappointed that I will not be able to celebrate with family, friends, and my AJRCA community in person. As a member of the Cantorial School faculty for many years, I’ve watched as others “walked down the aisle,” with tears of emotion. Yet, there are still emotions of joy that I anticipate.

2) What is one learning from your Academy experience that you will take with you after graduation?

The greatest learning that I gained from my time studying at AJRCA was that my time there was simply a portal. The vastness of traditional Jewish knowledge and wisdom was only revealed to me during my studies. The small portion that we encountered is now waiting for us to continue our journey of Jewish learning and growth; at the same time, leading others down that path.

3) Is there anything you learned at AJRCA that truly surprised you?

Having served as a synagogue Cantor for 40 years, I entered the AJRCA, believing that I was simply getting the credentials for what I already knew how to do. Wrong! In many ways, I’m now back at the starting gate—with less time to the finish line.

4) If you could go back in time and tell your pre-AJRCA self one thing, what would that be?

I wish I’d known of all the gifts of both knowledge and spirit that were bestowed upon me by faculty, administrators, and my fellow students. I would have done this long ago.

Congratulations Cantor Radwine!

2 thoughts on “4 Questions with…Our 2021 Graduates: Cantor Sam Radwine

1. Dear Cantor, soon to be Rabbi, I congratulate you on achieving your goal. You have touched me and so many others with your compassion, intellect and sense of humor. It is good to know you are continuing and expanding your presence in our greater Jewish community.

2. Dear future Rabbi Radwine,
    I have been blessed in my life to meet so many great people! You are in my eyes one of the greats! My grandmother taught me to pray only for you my roots came back and her memory became alive! I’m currently retired and working on a project THE Lessons I learned from The Greats in my life! You are definitely there ! Miss having a coffee with you and miss you alway God Bless you ! You live in my heart and mind forever when I say the blessing! I hear you voice ! You nailed it . Then I chant in Hebrew and Romanian ! So Happy So Proud Your the Best! Look forward in future with family praying with you! Love
    Russ ,Margaret and the Girls!