4 Questions with…Our 2021 Graduates: Jamie Hyams

With our 2021 Ordination-Graduation ceremony approaching, we are highlighting members of the graduating class. Click here to see all of the posts in this series.

Today we’re talking with Rabbinic Ordinee and Graduate Jamie Hyams.

1) With the ceremony approaching, what emotions are you feeling?

I have mixed emotions as the ceremony approaches.  It has been a very focused 6 years…If I had graduated at the end of 5 years, while working full-time and serving as a student rabbi, I think I would have wondered if I had “stop to smell the roses.” By having to take a 6th year, I was forced to slow down which turned out to be a wonderful thing.  I now am really ready to walk across the finish line rather than suddenly finding myself on the other side.  I think I’ll miss the intensity of school but I am ready to put my study into action.

2) What is one learning from your Academy experience that you will take with you after graduation?

With the support and guidance of Rabbi Mel and others, I was able to participate in DLTI, a two-year immersive prayer program.  DLTI opened me up to the power of authentic connection with the Source of Life.

3) Is there anything you learned at AJRCA that truly surprised you?

Others may not agree, but I learned that rational thought coupled with humanist leanings does not necessarily mean that you are secular (happy to talk about that more over a cup of coffee 🙂 …

4) If you could go back in time and tell your pre-AJRCA self one thing, what would that be?

If you really want something, when the time is right, you’ll find a way…

Congratulations Jamie!

9 thoughts on “4 Questions with…Our 2021 Graduates: Jamie Hyams

1. Jaime, you have kept together a group of intelligent, eloquent, wise and opinionated people with knowledge, grace and Zoom ability. ..all requirements to be a wonderful rabbi. Congratulations.