Meet the New Class: Chaplain Ian Perry (’20)

With the start of the 2021-22 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the posts in this series.

Today we’re talking with incoming Rabbinic student — and 2020 AJRCA Chaplaincy graduate — Ian Perry.

Q1) Where do you live?

Los Angeles, California

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

If I recall, my mother found AJRCA’s chaplaincy program while doing some searching online for Jewish-related careers on my behalf.

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

The openness and welcoming atmosphere inherent in AJRCA’s transdenominational essence was enticing to me. I found that AJRCA shared my commitment to Jewish values and a vision of what the Jewish community should look like. What drew me to return to AJRCA is that I knew from watching others who were in the rabbinic program that AJRCA is the best possible place to prepare me for a meaningful, impactful rabbinic career, both in terms of academics and the larger community.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?

I studied literature with an emphasis in creative  writing at the College of Creative Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara and enrolled at AJRCA soon after graduating. After receiving my chaplaincy degree in May of 2020, due to the pandemic I was not able to work in chaplaincy and had a job as an online writing tutor.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

I’m excited to return to the community. I’ve met and studied with so many wonderful people at AJRCA and I’m looking forward to spending more time with people I know from my previous studies as well as meeting new fellow students. Academically speaking, I really am looking forward to making progress with Hebrew, which I struggled with somewhat in the past.

Welcome back Ian!