Ilene Aube

Meet the New Class: Ilene Aube

With the start of the 2021-22 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the posts in this series.

Today we’re talking with incoming Rabbinic student Ilene Aube, who began her journey at AJRCA last winter.

Ilene Aube
Photo courtesy Ilene Aube

Q1) Where do you live?

Scottsdale, Arizona.

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

I heard of AJRCA from my friend Lynn Wilson. She is in the Chaplaincy program, here at ARJCA. She liked it so much that I thought I would try to take a class to see if she was right. I took a class in liturgy last winter and I loved it. So, I applied in the spring, just as I was finishing my Masters of Arts in Jewish Studies from Hebrew College.

I also found out that the Cantor at my synagogue, Seth Ettinger had graduated from the Cantorial School at AJRCA.  He is amazing!!  I decided right then and there it must be a wonderful school.

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

Several things. First, the recommendations from Lynn and Cantor Seth. Also, I enjoyed the class I took last winter. Finally, and most importantly I have always wanted to go to Rabbinical School. I chose AJRCA because:
  • At AJRCA  I will learn about all denominations of Judaism…not just one.
  • The other students in my class last winter, were wonderful. We were not competing. We are there to learn and to help each other. I have never experienced that before at any school I attended.
  • The richness of the program.
  • It has the right blend of on-line and in person classes. Hopefully after the pandemic is over, we can meet in person again. In the meantime, I am looking forward to beginning my studies in earnest.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?

I am an attorney right now.  I want to transition into the rabbinate over the next several years. My Masters in Jewish Studies was my first step.  My entry into AJRCA is the next.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

Entry into AJRCA is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream. I know I am in the right place to learn how to be the kind of rabbi I want to be. I can’t wait to get started.

Welcome Ilene!