Meet the New Class: Linda Bernstein (’21)

With the start of the 2021-22 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the posts in this series.

Today we’re talking with incoming Rabbinic student — and 2021 MJS graduate — Linda Bernstein.

Photo courtesy Linda Bernstein

Q1) Where do you live?

San Francisco, CA

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA?

I have known about AJRCA for many years, as I was looking for a west coast cantorial program.

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here?

AJRCA provides a multi-faceted venue for Jewish training. I decided to fulfill my course requirements as a Cantorial Intern of The Cantors Assembly (CICA) by taking courses at the AJRCA. Over time, I decided to pursue my Masters in Jewish Studies (MJS) Program with an emphasis on music in Jewish life and am pleased to say that I just graduated from the program. I’m not done yet! Now that I finished the Masters, I am continuing to take courses to fulfill my cantorial courses and will be starting at the third year year level of the Rabbinical Program.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?
I am a Doctor of Pharmacy and have worked in a variety of capacities including academia, corporate pharmacy, public health, drug safety, hospital and long term care pharmacy and medical communications. I am a Clinical Professor on the volunteer faculty of the School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Francisco. I founded my own company, Vita Media Corporation, that specializes in medical communications. See www.drlindabernstein.com for details and demos. I continue to use my media pharmacy skills in a variety of ways. For example, I write health articles for Costco Connection Magazine. I produced, wrote and hosted The Drug Report, an audio informational program, on ReachMD.com. I just launched Dr. Linda TV – Best of Health! (www.DrLinda.TV), with videos, podcasts, blogs and more. My videos are on YouTube, and podcasts are on Google, Apple, Spotify and other applications.

I have served as a lay service leader (shaliach tzibur) at Congregation Beth Sholom in San Francisco for many years, served on their Board and headed the Ritual Committee, among other things.

I am married, have two wonderful children with great spouses, and six grandchildren and one on the way (BeSha-ah Tova).

I enjoy singing, playing piano, taking guitar lessons, walking around the hills of the city and playing tennis.  I am starting to compose Jewish music and am excited to develop that skill even further.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

I am in my third year of classes, I have just begun my first rabbinical internship at Congregation Netivot Shalom in Berkeley, and look forward to continuing my rabbinical and cantorial training with the goal of graduating with “semicha” in 2024.

Welcome back Linda!