Meet the New Class: Cantor Seth Ettinger

With the start of the 2022-23 school year upon us, we are highlighting members of the incoming class of students. Click here to see all of the articles in this series.

Today we’re talking with incoming Rabbinic student, and AJRCA alumnus, Cantor Seth Ettinger (’14).

Photo courtesy of Cantor Seth Ettinger

Q1) Where do you live?

Phoenix, Arizona

Q2) How did you first hear of AJRCA? (way back when)

Back in 2007 from my teacher and mentor, Cantor Linda Kates who at the time was the Hazzan Sheini of Stephen S Wise Temple. 

Q3) What was it about AJRCA that drew you to enroll here? (this time around)

I have always appreciated how AJRCA focuses on teaching students “how to be the best you” and I wanted to achieve the same self actualization with my rabbinate. I have experienced and grown a great deal over these past eight years working as a cantor and I want to bring all of these professional and personal life lessons into how I challenge and support people as a rabbi.

Q4) What were you doing prior to enrolling?

For the past four years I have served as the cantor of Congregation Beth Israel in Phoenix, Arizona. Prior to moving to Arizona I was the Hazzan Sheini of Wilshire Boulevard Temple I’m Los Angeles. I am a devoted husband to my incredible wife, Sarah and father of two amazing kids, Ronen (4) and Georgina (1). I am a composer of Jewish and secular music and have my own kids rock band called “Shabbam Jam” with music featured on JKids and Jewish Rock Radio. I also am an avid producer of musical events and interfaith programming in the Phoenix area and direct three choirs.

Q5) As you embark on this experience, what are you most excited about?

I am most excited about the opportunities to learn  more in depth about the history and rabbinic tradition of the Jewish people and getting back into chevruta study with rabbinic, cantorial and chaplaincy students from different backgrounds and levels of observance. Most importantly I look forward to growing as a leader and klei kodesh in how I support and accompany people along their life journeys.

Welcome back Seth!