To be eligible for financial aid, students must be admitted to the AJRCA Rabbinic, Cantorial or Chaplaincy schools or to the MJS program.

Applicants must file Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at  List the Academy for Jewish Religion California, federal school code number G41555.

For federal and state programs, “Full-Time” study means at least 12 units per year.

Part-time students will be eligible for federal programs by taking a minimum of 6 units per year.

Important Links: You can only file your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on the web.

Find out if you’re eligible for private scholarships. Many organizations – civic groups, social clubs, religious organizations, labor unions, professional associations, and the like – sponsor scholarships. Dollar amounts, requirements, and deadlines vary widely.   An excellent source of general information about financial aid. Jewish Free Loan Association – available to Los Angeles and Ventura County residents.  The loans are interest free and the maximum loan amount received is $3,500 per year. Students must apply and arrange terms directly with the Association.

The Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program is the largest federal student loan program. Under this program, the U.S. Department of Education is your lender. The loans available to graduate and professional students are the Direct Unsubsidized Loan and the Grad PLUS Loan.  Interest is money paid to the lender in exchange for borrowing money.  You are responsible for paying the interest on these loans during all periods. If you choose not to pay the interest while you are in school and during grace periods and deferment or forbearance periods, your interest will accrue (accumulate) and be capitalized (that is, your interest will be added to the principal amount of your loan).

A very limited number of AJRCA scholarships are available to continuing students.  A scholarship form is sent out to all students to complete towards the end of June. In order to receive any scholarship monies, a student must submit the FAFSA on the web first. AJRCA scholarships are solely based on need and student’s satisfactory academic progress.

The Financial Aid Officer will inform each student in writing as to the amount of scholarship and federal student loans to be allocated in any given academic year.

For more information on loan and scholarship information, please contact the federal financial officer at AJRCA.

A student may contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education for review of a complaint. The bureau may be contacted at P. O. Box 980818, West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818 or (916) 431-6959 (phone) (916) 263-1897 (FAX). The website is

HEERF-CARES Act Reporting