The Academy for Jewish Religion California is a transdenominational institution dedicated to the training of rabbis, cantors, chaplains, and other Jewish community leaders. Its mission is to develop religious leaders steeped in Torah wisdom and tradition and capable of transforming Jewish communities into places where all Jews can grow toward spiritual wholeness and well-being.
It is the Academy’s intent to graduate Jewish leaders who will serve as agents of transformation wherever they work by promoting genuine concern for the joys and pains of all people, dedication to moral living, and commitment to viewing Torah as foundational for human wisdom and spiritual practice.
Our efforts to fulfill this mission include these features:
- We look for prospective students who have experienced a kindling of their spiritual calling to serve the Jewish community and God. Often these students have had careers elsewhere before they come to AJRCA, and as a result we have a multi-generational student body.
- Through our unique schedule, flexible curricular arrangements and online courses, we enable people to study while they are working or have family commitments.
- We have recruited to our faculty Jewish clergy and scholars with a love of Judaism, impeccable professional reputations, remarkable intellectual breadth, and rich experience that enables them to serve as guides and mentors in Jewish ethical and spiritual growth.
- We offer superb programs in Torah studies, foundational texts, Jewish law, rituals, and traditions, in a context of deep personal and communal reflection.
- We provide structures for learning that will lead to positive and effective practical application. Information and specialized or esoteric knowledge serve practical aims, relevant to personal growth and building Jewish communities.